

This is a post a week late…. But too many things have been going on in life, including a 6 in morning to 9 in night work day :-), to leave time for the blog…. But still I am writing this post, hoping that it might help you get 1% more value on your ticket price….
To start with, I have a confession to make; I am fearing that I have lost my taste for cinema…. Each of the film which has been glorified by critics in recent past; I have somehow not liked…. And the latest edition to the list is A Wednesday…. I did like a few things about the movie but as a package, it was just about average….
The best thing about the movie is Nasseerudin Shah, his character strikes at the deepest and the darkest fears which all of us have… The fear that our beloved who have bid us a smiling bye-bye to office might not return… The fear that we might just one day be struck by something which will take away our life and limbs…. All because some misguided zealot, whatever his caste or religion may be, thought that the world has been unjust to his/her community…. It is the most despicable entity in this world; this faceless, wordless being working to tear apart scores of innocent lives…. And it is this fear which Nasser brings out magnificently… The pain, the helplessness, the fear is brought out fantastically well….Your heart goes out to him as he brings out the home made coffee and the sandwich even as he has kept the whole of city on edge… You cannot but empathize with him as his wife berates him for the veggies he is supposed to get on his way back from office…. Here is one of the greatest stalwarts to have graced the Indian Silver Screen, ever, showing showing us why is he in the league he is in…. Another gem of a performance comes from the Guy playing the second inspector, underplayed and absolutely lovable…..And the film does provide some breathtaking views of the Mumbai skyline…
Coming to what I did not like… Well while critics have been raving about Jimmy Shergill’s performance, I found it way over the top… Similar is the case with Anupam Kher… And to top it, a commissioner relying only on two Inspectors in the worst hour of crisis, well suffice it to say that this will give India the first police rebellion in it’s history :-)…All the ACPs, DCPs and JCPs would be up in arms….The film certainly does not provide the kind of thrills it could have potentially done … All in all, worth the price of the ticket but don’t buy the popcorn….
Another addition to the ‘loved by others, not so by me’ list is Tahaan…. But would not write about it as I did not see it properly….Half the time there were too many things going on in my mind to concentrate on it…. The other half was spent adjusting my legs… This might surprise you but that’s how bad things are in Fun Cinemas, Andheri…. Watching a movie there is an exercise in acrobatics.... Or better still in trying to fit yourself in as little a space as possible…Perhaps they were trying to give their patrons a sneak peek into the space constraints of Mumbai life :)...... Had it been possible the Zee group would have invented a system where in you would have detached your legs on reaching your seat, kept it beneath the seat, watched the movie, reattached your legs and walked out…. Eliminating the need for leg space altogether :-)….And the buggers charge a bomb for this traumatizing experience….
The third movie was What happens in Vegas…Panned by critics but loved by me… Great timepass like David Dhawan movies…. Sparkling chemistry between the couple… Some good comic moments….Hot chics… A dash of bedroom scenes… All in all a good stress buster... A good weekend get-away and a great relief from the humdrum of daily life…And for those who have GFs to accompany them, well, I suggest leave everything and make a dash for the nearest multiplex ... You will get more than the money's worth :-)..... And if this is what happens in Vegas, Looooooord! Take me there ASAP...
To start with, I have a confession to make; I am fearing that I have lost my taste for cinema…. Each of the film which has been glorified by critics in recent past; I have somehow not liked…. And the latest edition to the list is A Wednesday…. I did like a few things about the movie but as a package, it was just about average….
The best thing about the movie is Nasseerudin Shah, his character strikes at the deepest and the darkest fears which all of us have… The fear that our beloved who have bid us a smiling bye-bye to office might not return… The fear that we might just one day be struck by something which will take away our life and limbs…. All because some misguided zealot, whatever his caste or religion may be, thought that the world has been unjust to his/her community…. It is the most despicable entity in this world; this faceless, wordless being working to tear apart scores of innocent lives…. And it is this fear which Nasser brings out magnificently… The pain, the helplessness, the fear is brought out fantastically well….Your heart goes out to him as he brings out the home made coffee and the sandwich even as he has kept the whole of city on edge… You cannot but empathize with him as his wife berates him for the veggies he is supposed to get on his way back from office…. Here is one of the greatest stalwarts to have graced the Indian Silver Screen, ever, showing showing us why is he in the league he is in…. Another gem of a performance comes from the Guy playing the second inspector, underplayed and absolutely lovable…..And the film does provide some breathtaking views of the Mumbai skyline…
Coming to what I did not like… Well while critics have been raving about Jimmy Shergill’s performance, I found it way over the top… Similar is the case with Anupam Kher… And to top it, a commissioner relying only on two Inspectors in the worst hour of crisis, well suffice it to say that this will give India the first police rebellion in it’s history :-)…All the ACPs, DCPs and JCPs would be up in arms….The film certainly does not provide the kind of thrills it could have potentially done … All in all, worth the price of the ticket but don’t buy the popcorn….
Another addition to the ‘loved by others, not so by me’ list is Tahaan…. But would not write about it as I did not see it properly….Half the time there were too many things going on in my mind to concentrate on it…. The other half was spent adjusting my legs… This might surprise you but that’s how bad things are in Fun Cinemas, Andheri…. Watching a movie there is an exercise in acrobatics.... Or better still in trying to fit yourself in as little a space as possible…Perhaps they were trying to give their patrons a sneak peek into the space constraints of Mumbai life :)...... Had it been possible the Zee group would have invented a system where in you would have detached your legs on reaching your seat, kept it beneath the seat, watched the movie, reattached your legs and walked out…. Eliminating the need for leg space altogether :-)….And the buggers charge a bomb for this traumatizing experience….
The third movie was What happens in Vegas…Panned by critics but loved by me… Great timepass like David Dhawan movies…. Sparkling chemistry between the couple… Some good comic moments….Hot chics… A dash of bedroom scenes… All in all a good stress buster... A good weekend get-away and a great relief from the humdrum of daily life…And for those who have GFs to accompany them, well, I suggest leave everything and make a dash for the nearest multiplex ... You will get more than the money's worth :-)..... And if this is what happens in Vegas, Looooooord! Take me there ASAP...
4 comments:
hehe..yeah seriously man..u seem to hv lost ur cinematic taste :D
well, frankly i loved "a wednesday"...maybe bcoz i happen to be one of those who risk their lives everyday in a similar fashion. Also, this happens to be the only movie where i wud appreciate Jimmy Shergill's acting (blv me am nt otherwise a big fan of tht guy)
And just fr curiousity: the vegas movie worth watching with ur gf ??? :D
kp watching :-)
Gd post, have only watchd wednesday so cant comment on correctness...
Baki I will give wednesday a 3 out of 5,I dint like the end which is too dramatised for me to blv but film is good...
AK
Dude,
I LOVE d name of ur blog, it really touches the cord wid all BIG time film goers like me...so now U have got aan avid reader 4 ur blog...will keep looking for new posts so u bettr b consistent ;-)!!!
I have watched only "A wednesday" and I can comment only on that. You are right, you do not need to buy a popcorn as you would not get time to enjoy the taste. The movie involves you deeply for entire duration. Though, I watched the movie on internet where you have an option of stop, play, pause, I never felt like presssing the pause button. Movie talks about terrorism without showing many gunshots. Besides, being involving, movie provides some message and dialog delivery by Nasir is wow. What more you want in life... You will not give this movie a good rating only if you like latka-Jhatka, item Nos, and Indian Filmi Mashaala. This movie definitely deserved better rating than you have assigned.
Post a Comment